That photo was taken literally moments before, well, Atlas shrugged.....! For reference, check last photo of post. One thing I have been confident of, perhaps a little too much, was being able to get that 'money shot' on the go... By that I mean winging it, setting things up on the fly, scrambling to get the shot before hell breaks loose and really testing the limits. I don't always do this on purpose. By that I mean, I am not lazy; it mostly is a culmination of circumstances - tight spaces, too many things to shoot, not planning ahead, not having the space and time for an advanced style set up and certainly no room between window and sink for camera, tripod and photographer (me)!Read More
Voila! Here you have it! Three ingredient bread for souls like me who can't eat gluten, and, for everyone else who can because it is bloody awesome. Sweet potato, almond flour, egg. That's it. Simple. Clean. Delicious. I was vindicated. I showed the world. I came out on top again. Bah to all the bread. I got my own sandwich now bey****!Read More
Sometimes you have to take a risk! So, I took a risk. I made myself this sandwich with a fish that I can't say I love. So, I am taking a risk. In posting photos of a whole fried fish, in all its possibly repulsive possible awe-inspiring glory. The first time in tasting was a worthy risk. This one, in posting, you tell me...! :)
I chose Sardine. I have said it before, they are not my favorite fish to eat as is, because of their rather pungent flavor; Like chicken liver. Actually, exactly like chicken liver!! I just had an Epiphany as I was typing this! That is probably why I like both of them in pates diluted with large amounts of butter and masking spices! Give me the fat and smooth spread without the stick-in-my-palate flavor.
Long story short, it was a success, which, is why it is here. What I found was that....Read More
Oh yes! It's ice cream season. Well, is not that what Memorial Day is all about? The subtle signal that Summer is here and now?! Speaking of which, hope you all had a great long weekend. We in the US, don't have nearly enough long weekends. So, we may as well make the most of it. As to me, I jetted off to wet and hot Austin from Spring rebound NYC. I am still there. So when I am back I will have some nice photos of water dripping from awnings! :)
In the meantime, let me tell you about this ice cream. Blue Cheese Ice Cream. Because, it blew my mind! Ever since a little Italian gelataria opened by me, I have been fascinated with savory ice creams. They make an amazing olive oil one that is served with the charcuterie platter. Divine. And, yes, that is where my inspiration for this came about.Read More
Just a sandwich. Not a lot going on there. Some ham, greens, and oh that egg!
This is perhaps not a very typical FSK post in as much as there is no real recipe, but this dish is rather close to me. Or, I should put it as, several meals similar to this one have been my sustenance for the last few weeks.
Needless to say, I am a very good customer for eggs. I honestly eat at least one a day. These ones are pasture laid and delivered to me from a farm upstate along with my raw milk (I am not getting into that debate. It works for me, thats all).
If you followed my
, you would have seen my confessions of my struggles with not being distracted from feeding myself well. Eggs were my trump card. At the very least, I would have an egg. On top of whatever I could easily rummage. Until, I realized that an egg a day on its own, does not keep the doctor away.
So, I started doing a few basic things to help myself -
- Captain Obvious. But, one that easily slips by unnoticed. I make shopping lists over the weekend, for the week's groceries and produce to be picked up from the Farmers market. I have started adding a couple more places to stop at bakery and butcher, for bread, crackers, and cured meats.
- Notwithstanding the lack of whole portions for lunch, I typically eat small portions. That means, I need to eat every 3 to 4 hours. That is a pinch, if I cooked properly for lunch. But, the 3 pm slump made me crave a walk outside, a cup of coffee and something to nibble, which, usually ended being something sweet and too much of it. To break that cycle, I stock up on fruit and cottage cheese. Slicing fruit is not much activity, dollop of cottage cheese and something else or nothing at all and I am good to go now. Also, I end up eating a lot of fruit, which, is great!
Take a walk or run outside
- Here is the thing. When you focus deeply on something, one becomes oblivious to a lot of the other senses. Mental or physical labor have a way of dulling hunger and thwarting motivation to shift focus. Forcing yourself to step away breaks that solitary mode. Also, a breath of fresh air is good for stimulating the appetite. For most of us leading sedentary work lives, it also becomes hard to justify full size meals when you aren't working it off physically. A run solves that!
Join a group
- Peer pressure, group therapy, challenge, whatever! It works :)
and I are starting an
, with the hashtag
. We are going to be posting the meals that we cook for ourselves. I will tell you, this already has me thinking and smiling about the meals I want to make for myself. Of course, the motivation stems from posting it online. Nevertheless, it helps me tactically and strategically, I am sure, it will become more incorporated in my life without the necessity of a push.
So, come and have a look at our food. We are roping in a few of our friends for added visual stimulation.
In other news,
- I am loving this new magazine in that photo,
. A touch hippie and launching off a lot on Mr. Pollan but its the concise version with updated information on things we relate to today.
are out. No, I am not on the list yet. But there is a ton of talent on it. Get some food porn into your system.
- I have smoking on mind this weekend. Fish. What were you thinking?
is great for DIY deli items.
- On my nightstand now is
is a beautiful read on enjoying food.
and love her recipes!
- I have to restock my chocolate to make
project. Rather cool.
So, have a great weekend and don't forget to make your lists! :)
As to this sandwich, go on, you know you want it. Get a bit of olive mustard in there for some punch. Smack!